Welcome to North Carolina Coalition On Aging
Our mission as a coalition is to improve the quality of life for older adults through legislative, public policy, and community actions.
...Benefits of Membership In the Coalition
NC Coalition on Aging Annual Meeting and Luncheon
- Date: Friday, September 28, 2018 -
Save The Date Flyer
- Time: 12:00 Noon (Registration begins 11:30 a.m.)
- Location: NC State University Club - 4200 Hillsborough St., Raleigh, NC
- Keynote Speaker: Howard Bedlin
- Presentation Title: Issues currently taking center stage as well as those likely to emerge
Registration Deadline September 21, 2018
... CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS - 2018 PIONEER AWARD
- Pioneer Award Recognizes Long-Time Contributors to Aging in North Carolina
- Click Here for More Details about the Award and Submitting a Nomination. The deadline for submission of nominations is August 10, 2018.
IMPROVING THE QUALITY OF LIFE FOR OLDER ADULTS
The Coalition promotes the dignity, self-determination and well-being of North Carolina's older adults. Together, we represent more than 1 million votes in North Carolina.
2018 Legislative Priorities
- Increase the recurring state funding for the
Home and Community Care Block Grant (HCCBG) by $7 million.
- Increase state funding and support for
adult protective services (APS) and public guardianship services and conduct a comprehensive evaluation of these services.
- In order to better support direct care workers and help reduce worker turnover, invest in
the Medicaid Community Alternatives Program for Disabled Adults(CAP-DA) programs by increasing the reimbursement rate from $13.88 per hour to the national average of $18.82.
- Pass legislation that will support
working family caregivers and help to keep them in the workforce.
...Read More Information About The Priorities
- Notes for Talking Points for Aging Policy Listening Sessions - May/June 2018 ...read notes
- Comments on April 27, 2018 on Medicaid Concept Paper on North Carolina's Vision for Long-term Services and Supports under Managed Care ...read comments
- Comments on April 27, 2018 on Medicaid Concept Paper on Using Standardized Social Determinants of Health Screening Questions to Identify and Assist Patients with Unmet Health-related Resource Needs in North Carolina. ...read comments
- Handouts from the February 12, 2018 Meeting of the Aging Subcommittee of the Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on Health and Human Services Including Presentations by the Following Coalition Members: the Association for Home and Hospice Care of NC, the NC Health Care Facilities Association, the NC Senior Living Association, and the NC Adult Day Services Association. ...read more
- Handouts from December 13, 2017 Meeting of the Aging Subcommittee of the Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on Health and Human Services including Presentation by the Coalition's President. ...read
- Handout from Presentation on Transportation and the Aging Population to the NC House Select Committee on Strategic Transportation Planning and Long Term Funding Solutions on January 8, 2018. ...read more
- Proposed Program Design for Medicaid Managed Care - Comments by Coalition's President September 8, 2017
- Legislation Passed in the 2017 Legislative Session of Special Interest to Aging Advocates/Members of the N.C. Coalition on Aging ...read
- Key Provisions of Budget Bill (Senate Bill 257) Related to Aging - June 21, 2017 ...read
- Key Items Related to Aging in Joint Conference Committee Report (Money Report) on Base, Capital, and Expansion Budget - June 21, 2017 ...read
- Coalition's Comments on Medicaid and NC Health Choice Transformations - Submitted to NC DHHS May 22, 2017
- Supplemental Material on Support for Home and Community Care Block Grant - (For Legislative Advocacy - May 17, 2017) ...read more
- Supplemental Material on Adult Protective Services and Guardianship in North Carolina
- A Crisis in the Making (For Legislative Advocacy - May 17,
- Statement from Coalition on Senate's Budget Proposal - (May 10, 2017)
Friday August 24, 2018 ...More Details
Other Meetings of Interest
August 24, 2018 –
NC Coalition on Aging Monthly Meeting – Brown Building on Dix campus (801 Biggs Drive) at 10:00 a.m.
August 27-30, 2018 - National Home and Community Based Services Conference - at Baltimore Marriott Waterfront, Baltimore, Maryland
September 10-12, 2018 - The Carolinas Center 42nd Annual Hospice and Palliative Care Conference "How We Strengthen the Tools in Our Toolbox" - at Hilton Charlotte University Place in Charlotte
September 12-14, 2018 - 2018 NC Nonprofits Conference - at Sheraton Imperial Hotel, Research Triangle Park, NC - Information at: www.conference.ncnonprofits.org
...more meetings of interest
June News Edition Highlights...
- New State Aging Director Named: Joyce Massey-Smith has been named as the Director of the NC Division of Aging and Adult Services (DAAS) effective June 29. Joyce is no stranger to the aging network. She has worked at DAAS since March of 1996, first as an Adult Program Representative and most recently as Section Chief for Adult Services. For more information about Joyce Massey-Smith, review the entire
June News Update.
- Legislative Session Winds Down: The 2018 short legislative session is drawing to a close, probably by the end of this week. We have kept Coalition members updated throughout the session relative to actions pertaining to aging and issues which impact older adults and their families. To review more about the Legislative session review the entire
June News Update.
...Read the June News Edition
Day at Legislature ... more info
Annual Meeting ... more info
The NC Coalition on Aging welcomes donations to help further our work on behalf of older North Carolinians. All donations are put back into our advocacy, public policy, and community action efforts.